If you are in the business of training future nurses, than you have probably heard the rumors by now: The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) is updating the NCLEX 2019. Here’s what you can expect to change.
What is the NCLEX 2019?
The NCLEX 2019 is the standard test given to nursing students to verify that they are graduating with the skills and critical thinking necessary to succeed as a clinical nurse. These tests are created by the NCSBN, and structured to examine students’ critical thinking and knowledge in a way similar to how they will be tested in a real clinical scenario. Recently, the NCSBN discovered that the NCLEX is lacking in various critical thinking areas, and has begun the process of improving the test in order to ensure that the students with passing grades are truly prepared. While this sounds daunting, it should be exciting as well.
What Changes Should You Expect?
While it is true that the NCSBN is working to update and improve their testing, these changes will not be put into place until 2022 at the earliest. All questions and methods that will be used in this update are being tested by students, nurses, and professionals alike, so that the updated NCLEX will be more challenging in the appropriate ways. These updates will not go into place until they are deemed fair, and the community has had time to prepare.
However, there are some adjustments to prepare for in the NCLEX 2019. Here are the facts:
- There is an increased and improved emphasis on culture and spirituality.
- There have been small updates to the test based on what is required of nurses in their first year of practice.
- The 2019 NCLEX will look like the 2016 NCLEX, no need to panic!
- Some of the new questions and question types will be tested in the 2019-2021 NCLEX. Students can expect questions in a format they are unfamiliar with, but in these instances, it is the questions that are being tested, not the students! Their answers to these questions will not count against their score.
- Selected students may be asked to take a “Special Research Section” when they have completed their 2019 NCLEX. This section will ask questions from the Next Generation NCLEX, and is focused on testing the new questions and formats. Students will not be scored on the “Special Research Section.”
- As the new NCLEX is being tested, teachers should be encouraged to push their students to improve their critical thinking skills. These new NCLEX tests will be based on real-life scenarios rather than the perfect world of past NCLEX testing, in which everything a student needed to know was right there in the document.
How Can I Better Prepare My Staff for the NCLEX Changes?
With these forthcoming changes, it is vital to provide your teachers with the supplies and curriculum they need to adapt to the new NCLEX testing methods. A Pass Educational Group, LLC is in a uniquely qualified position to assist you. As a company that has worked for years to meet specific and custom curriculum needs, we have the information, tools, education, and skills to create the materials you need.
Our assessment capabilities are top of the line, and we can create the perfect samples for your faculty to work from. To see what we can do for your institution, take a look at our higher ed assessment samples page.